Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The View From Where I Sit...

I grew up 'poor' if you measure the amount of money that did(or did not) flow into
our household over the years. Our mother worked herself to the bone in a textile mill and gave us everything she could so I am by NO means selling her efforts short. It was just an accepted fact that meat was not a staple at every dinner, clothes were handed down, utilities weren't something we took for granted and we often managed on far less than other households. Yet, riddle me this if you will - kids FLOCKED to hang out with me and my siblings. Our friends had an unspoken understanding to pack a lunch and drink from their own homes and bring it along. They knew to ask our mother(forever dubbed as 'Miss Hazel') for a cold glass of water or tea(since that is what we could afford to keep) instead of milk or sodas and they always managed to find some clothes that 'didn't fit' anymore to give to me and Tonya. After all, there was no use in lettin' those clothes go to waste now was there? #tactfulfriendsforsho'

Gradually through the years I've had the true fortune of making and maintaining some
amazing friendships. I am now approaching my 34th trip around the sun and I am amazed
at how many amazing people saturate my daily life. I have too many to name them all
but there are some that just SHINE :) My longest and dearest friend in the world is
Karrie. Through all my dark and light times she has stood by me like a sentinel. I love
her so much that even I(the word nerd red head)cannot find the words to describe it.
She and I have road this rollercoaster of life right along side each other and no matter
what decisions we each have made along the path(good, bad and really stupid)we are
always there for each other to laugh, cry, celebrate or pre-meditate our next steps.
I hope you read this Karrie - I puffyheartLOVE you for life :)

Through the friendships I've made I've never gone hungry, homeless or cried alone.
I've had constant and overwhelming support. I have no idea how I wound up so
incredibly fortunate. I've never had a single thing to offer my friends but my love,
support and time. Never the less - THEY. STICK. AROUND. For all of you amazing
people that are my friends and are reading this(you know who you are) - YOU. FREAKING.
ROCK. I love you all and thank the universe for allowing me to cross paths with
you. So, if you ever need a glass of water, a couch to crash on or a red head to
just sit and listen to your story - I am readily and at your disposal - ALWAYS. - The GFG

3 comments:

  1. It's beautiful when one realizes the riches in life cannot be materialized. As kids, we don't understand. Even as adults,some of us still don't get it.
    The ones you love are loving you right back!
    You can ride on the handle bars!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I've never had a single thing to offer my friends but my love,
    support and time."

    Obviously more than enough, innit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I just adore you! I can not tell you enough how much we enjoyed your company last week. Had a blast with the flowers and enjoying you and susan. Just had to put that out there! Much love from Texas! I PUFFYHEART LOVE U, P.J.

    ReplyDelete