Monday, March 5, 2012

Once Upon A Southern Evening...

In the mid 1980's..in a little mill house..just after bath time..lived two sisters(me and my gorgeous older sister who is NOT a Ginger). Being that we grew up in a religion where we weren't allowed to cut our hair we often spent up to an hour detangling and brushing our hair. This particular evening we were actually getting along(which was RARE) so we donned our thin soft cotton blend little girl night gowns and took turns brushing each other's hair till it was a long wet mane down our backs to our hips. She had a blue gown with 'My Little Pony' screen printed on it and mine (which was FAR superior in my opinion) was pink with 'She-ra, The Princess of Power' printed on it :)

 Our mother worked second shift in the mill that employed most of the folks in our town. Our father was in the living room watching T.V. so we had free reign of the room we shared. So....what do two bored little girls do on an evening like this?? We brought out our stash of pop records, put em' on our Barbie Pink record player and danced on our twin beds and sang our hearts out into our matching hairbrushes to Whitney Houston's ' I wanna dance with Somebody' and the likes of Culture Club, Madonna, New Kids On The Block, Def Leppard and countless others that we loved and cherished. We made up dance routines(lame, I know, but we couldn't go outside and MTV wasn't 'acceptable' at our house) and pretended we were BananaRama or The Bangles. Such was an evening past in an episode of what we branded 'Lifestyles of the Poor and Shameless :) The thing that still amazes me MOST to this day.....music became the common thread that linked two opposite sisters and formed a bond stronger than we imagined possible. If you ever read this big Sister. I love you( and Donnie Wahlberg would've totally danced with ME first!) - The GFG

3 comments:

  1. wow i never knew this about you and tonya. its hard to beleive that ya'll actually agreed on something at one point in time. i guess miracles can happen!!! This blog thing is pretty cool its like a virtual biography. LOVE YA BUNCHES!!!!! This is your little sister by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello my beautiful youngest sister!! Yes,(hard to believe, I know!) Tonya and I had some pretty good times together living on Ivy Street in our over the top pink room :) I wish I had pictures of how she dolled us up at the skating rink! I don't know if I've ever felt as pretty as I did on those evenings. Good times! I love you!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete